The Do’s And Don’t Of Invisalign Treatment
Are you ready to start the process of straightening your teeth and have decided on Invisalign® treatment? We think you have made a great choice! This popular treatment uses clear aligner trays to transition your teeth into their desired placement. Invisalign® is preferred by many of our patients because of the discrete nature of the hardware. Although this treatment method is relatively easy, there are some rules that we recommend you follow and some behaviors that should be avoided.
Instructions for Invisalign®
For a successful treatment, it is best to follow our directions. In addition to the directions our office provides, these are also some great tips:
- Keep aligners in your mouth except when brushing, flossing, and eating. Also remove before drinking any hot liquids or liquids that can stain such as wine, coffee, and cola.
- Wear aligners in the correct sequence and follow our directions for how long to wear each set of trays.
- Clean aligners with a toothbrush and non-abrasive toothpaste.
- Use your fingers to place the aligners in your mouth and push them into place. The aligners will be tight at first and then fit more comfortably immediately before they need to be changed. This is a great indication your teeth are shifting appropriately.
- Remove the aligners by moving from the back of the mouth to the front. Be sure to remove both sides simultaneously.
- Store the aligners in a case when not in use.
What to Avoid With Invisalign®
When directions are not followed, treatment times can become extended and your results may not be what you were hoping for. We recommend the following:
- Do not place your aligners in a napkin or tissue while you are eating. This is a surefire way for your aligners to get accidentally thrown out.
- Be sure to keep your aligners away from pets, as you don’t want them to become a chew toy.
- Do not use chemicals such as bleach or alcohol to clean your aligners.
- Avoid boiling water.
- Do not use your tongue and teeth to insert your aligners.
If you are interested in learning more about Invisalign® or have a question during treatment, be sure to contact our office located in Spring Hill, FL to schedule a consultation. We look forward to assisting in your journey towards straighter teeth.